IPMA is deeply saddened to inform that our colleague and good friend Alberto Murta passed away in his sleep on Sunday, 27 October 2013. As many of you know Alberto has been fighting against pancreatic cancer since October last year.
He is survived by his wife Cristina, daughter and son Matilde and Henrique (11 and 14 years-old respectively), sister Guadalupe, and parents. His funeral took place Monday, 28 October in his birth town of Évora in Portugal.
Alberto Murta was born in the 23rd of January 1969, in Évora. He graduated in 1992 in Biology by the University of Lisbon, Sciences Faculty.
Doctor in Biology (2004) and Master in Applied Mathematics (1998) Alberto´s main area of work has been fish ecology, fish population dynamics, stock assessment and dynamics of fishing fleets. His C.V. may be consulted at http://albertomurta.wikispaces.com/
He served along 20 years (since 1993) the Portuguese Public Service with high motivation, dedication and efficiency at Fisheries and Sea Research Institutes, that proceeded IPMA.
He has been coordinating or participating in several national and international research funded projects as HOMSIR, FAR_MA, IBERMIX, ECOFISHMAN, GesPe, GEPETO. He supervised 2 undergraduated students, 8 Master thesis and 2 Doctor thesis.
Alberto has been very active as member or chair of about 25 international expert and advisory working groups both from the European Commission Scientific and Technical and Economic Committee for Fisheries (EU- STECF) and from the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES).
Alberto is highly respected, cherished and appreciated by his peers both in the scientific national and internationally community. He was a unique generous and inspiring person who will be always remembered by all of us.
IPMA friends and colleagues and his family have been receiving condolences from several international and national Alberto colleagues and friends expressing their sadness for such a terrible loss.
ICES honored a memoriam to Alberto (http://www.ices.dk/news-and-events/news-archive/news/Pages/In-memoriam---Alberto-Murta-.aspx).
Condolences received from international and national colleagues up to now, are noticed below:
1. Martin Pastoors - Netherlands - Very sad to hear. Alberto was always a wonderful person to have in meetings. Friendly and open. I will send a message to his wife and children. Kind regards, Martin Pastoors
2. Carmela Porteiro, IEO, Spain - Desde que me entere de la noticia del fallecimiento de Alberto quiero expresaros mí más profunda solidaridad y cariño para vosotras en estos tristes momentos, me resulta muy difícil asumir que no haya tenido una oportunidad para superar esta cruel enfermedad, solamente queda el consuelo que descanso. Siempre recordare a Alberto como una persona, buena, dulce y comprometida, amigo de los suyos y excelente compañero. Por favor, trasmitirle mis condolencias a su familia y a todo el IPIMAR. Un beso muy fuerte y mucho ánimo. Carmela
3. Carmen Fernandez- ICES- I’m very sad to hear the news about Alberto. It is a great loss to us all. My love and thoughts are with his family and his closest friends, who must be going through a terrible time. Best regards, Carmen.
4. Jacques Massé - IFREMER, France- Dreadful new! ....I can't imagine it ...
We had so many good times together. Alberto will be still alive in my minds as a wonderful person, able to be so pertinent in job and so pleasant companion as well.
His good mood will survive in our pelagic family! I'll miss him so much.
Please pass on my sincere compassion to his close relations. Jac!
5. Dankert Skagen - IMR, Norway- Dear all, This was really sad news. I have known Alberto almost from the start of his career, and I will miss him very much. He was a fine scientist and
a great friend, always so considerate and helpful, and always a pleasant company. My sincere condolences to everyone around him. Kind regards. Dankert
6. Barbara Schoute- and Cristina Morgado - Advisory Program Officers, ICES. Thank you for forwarding this message to ACOM. Cristina and I shared a hug and some tears this morning – it will be a great loss of such a wonderful warm person in the ICES world. Do let everybody there know how much we enjoyed his company and wish his friends and loved ones all the strength to cope with this loss and live on with the beautiful memories. Take care, Barbara and Cristina.
7. Pablo Abaunza, IEO, Fisheries Director, Madrid, Spain. Esta mañana la mujer de Alberto me llamó y me dio la triste noticia. Yo quería deciros que lo siento muchísimo y quería mandaros un fuerte y cariñoso abrazo y muchos besos porque Alberto era vuestro amigo y compañero. Alberto era mi mejor amigo y lo quería y le quiero mucho, muchísimo. Para mi ha sido siempre un ejemplo a seguir, una gran persona y mejor amigo. Por favor, quería pediros que cualquier cosa que pueda hacer me lo digáis, así se lo he dicho también a Cristina y a sus hijos. Siempre estaré a su lado y al lado vuestro para lo que sea. Esta mañana envié esta noticia a todos los compañeros del IEO y de AZTI. He recibido muchos mensajes de pésame de mis compañeros para enviarlos pero no sé cómo hacerlos llegar a Cristina y a su familia. Por favor si podéis decirme algo sobre esto os lo agradecería mucho. Sé que la vida es así pero esto siempre es una gran faena. Pienso que Alberto siempre estará con nosotros sencillamente porque lo llevamos en el corazón. Un beso y un abrazo muy grande Pablo
8. Leire Ibaibariaga, María Santos, Paula Alvarez, Sonia Sanchez, Andrés Uriarte y Lorenzo Motos (y de todo AZTI) – Basque Country, Spain . Queridos Colegas y amigos. Nos unimos a vuestro dolor por la pérdida de Alberto, gran compañero y amigo para todos nosotros. Además de excelente científico, siempre fue un gran colega alegre e inspirador. Y así permanecerá siempre en nuestro recuerdo. Un fuerte abrazo para vosotros y para su familia. De sus compañeros Leire, María, Paula, Sonia, Andrés y Lorenzo (y de todo AZTI)
9. Lionel Pawlosvski – IFREMER, France. Dear all, It's very sad news. Although I haven't known Alberto for a long time, I am sure he will be missed by many of us. Please pass my sincerest condolences to his relatives and friends. Kind regards, Lionel
10. Jose Castro – IEO, Vigo, Spain. Me acabo de enterar de la muerte de Alberto. Lo siento mucho. Hemos perdido a un gran compañero. Un saludo, Jose
11. Marina Santurtún – AZTI , Basque Country, Spain. Dear colleagues, It was with a great sense of loss when we, AZTI, heard of Alberto's death. We wanted to let you know that our heart is deeply saddened. Please accept our sincere condolences for his loss and please, extend these condolences to his family. Alberto was a wonderful person and great colleague; he was always so kind and considerate to all AZTI family that we always welcomed seeing him at any meeting or friends occasion. During work, Alberto was always straightforward, honest, helpful and hard worker. Indeed, it was around only two years ago that Alberto and we shared meetings at ICES. Not only he was a great person to work with, but he was also an excellent friend with whom AZTI team spent many memorable days at IPIMAR and Copenhagen. I still remember that occasion, 5 or 6 years ago, in which Alberto took us, AZTI and IEO colleagues, for a typical “migas a la alentejana” dinner. We had a real good time, he had an amazing sense of humour and was an exceptional host. All who knew him, we will deeply miss him. Personally, Alberto will always remain within my sincere thoughts and heart. With deepest sympathy, Marina & AZTI team
12. Nélida Pérez – IEO/Vigo – Spain. Supen que o boso compañero Alberto Murta ha fallecido. Quería enviarte o meu cariño para vos que sentiredes a sua falta, e trasmitide a familia o meu sentido pesame. Moitos beisiños, Neli
13. Anna Kristín Daníelsdóttir - EcoFishMan Coordinator, Director Food Safety, Environment & Genetics, MATIS, Iceland. Dear EcoFishMan partners, With great sadness and sympathy, we inform you that last Sunday, the 27th October, Dr. Alberto Murta, our ECOFISHMAN colleague of the IPMA team in Portugal, died due to a serious illness. We are thankful for his scientific contribution to EcoFishMan and for being able to enjoy his nice personality. This is a great loss, not only for IPMA and ECOFISHMAN, but also for the scientific community. On behalf of the EcoFishMan consortium, we send his family and IPMA team our deep condolences.
14. Karim Erzini, CCMAR, UALG, Faro, Portugal – Caros colegas, Lamento muito a morte prematura do Alberto, e gostaria expressar os meus sinceros pêsames a família do Alberto e aos colegas do IPMA. Era uma pessoa genuinamente boa e simpática.
Com os meus melhores cumprimentos, Karim
15. Mafalda Rangel, CCMAR, UALG, Faro, Portugal – Amigos, É-me muito difícil lidar com a morte de alguém tão novo e tão genuinamente bom como o Alberto. A sua simpatia foi sempre inexcedível. Nesta altura tão triste queria apenas deixar os meus mais sinceros pêsames à família e a todos vocês, que sentirão de muito perto esta perda. Um enorme beijinho, Mafalda.
16. Aldo Solari, Senior Researcher on Fish and Shelfish ,Greenland Institute of Natural Research, Greenland - I am truly sorry. Let his family know that we appreciate the kind of warm heart and familiar spirit that Alberto and his Portuguese colleagues have shown us time after time. It in invaluable.